Old 04-14-15, 12:00 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by woowoowoo
Disclaimer: Made this thread so I can feel better and wallow with my fellow compadres.

So it happened today. Fell because I couldnt clip out in time. After putting 150 miles on my bike I finally fell. I read the "you'll fall eventually" threads and I told myself that I wouldnt fall victim to that. I clipped in and unclipped really well up to this point. I was coming up on one of those slight rights when I noticed the light was going to turn green and cars were going to come my way so I had to slow down. Unfortunately for some reason my usual effort of unclipping didn't result in unclipping so I toppled over onto the sidewalk. Needless to say I'm pretty happy I didnt get severely hurt but I can't lie, my pride is kind of bruised at the fact that I fell over at an intersection with cars just starring at me.

Brushed myself off and rode home. I tried to look for damages and the only thing I found were some scratches on the pedals and one or two nicks on the rear derailleur which aren't a big deal to me. My paranoid side tells me THERE HAS to be some sort of damage on the frame. That I can't fall over and just escape with some cuts on my arm and scratches on the derailleur and pedals. I just can't believe that. I really somehow convinced myself that theres damage that I'm overlooking, even though I looked over the bike four time.

That being said, its upsetting to scratch the bike so soon after buying it. Its like 6-8k like the S-Works or Cervelos that some of you are riding but its still a good chunk of money to me

Has anyone crashed on their primary expensive bike and not a back up bike?

Happened to us all at one time or another. Learned humility is a good thing. Keeps the ego in check.
PS, I wouldn't worry about the cars staring at you, it's the people I'd worry about but who cares, they all think we look like idiots anyway so a fall is just confirmation of their pre-suppositions.