Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
It's all about adaptation.
Amen

I love working on S&A and IMO, it is a key aspect for masters racers that want to do the sport for a long time.

@globecanvas My comments were addressing your question about pain. What I have found interesting about being an athlete for the last 60 years is that there are many ways to skin a cat and be a great athlete. You are having a lot of success racing and that is all about talent and hard work. Bike fit is much like having the perfect golf swing. Mechanics are a wonderful thing but the goal is to get the ball in the hole with the least amount of strokes. One can do it ugly or pretty. And ugly may not be so bad. And I am not implying that you look ugly on the bike. We are talking about mm of change.

In the Iron War, entropy and running is discussed. It was found that runners with the greatest entropy i.e. most motion and less pretty...think Dave Scott were the fastest. As fatigue sets in, entropy decreases and runners slow down.

Since we are constrained on the bike, measuring entropy is more difficult but I suspect it is similar.

The goal of my comments about posture is directed at the aspect of reducing shoulder and neck pain and protecting the joints at high power. And this too is probably a YMMV. Having said that, my shoulder and neck are a lot better and I am continuing to work on my posture on and off the bike.