Old 04-16-15, 08:13 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero
I don't "worry" about toe overlap, but if I have to save money for another year in order to get a bike that has the fit/geometry I want and smaller wheels so that there don't have to be geometry compromises to get it, I will. Smaller wheels are fine. I'm a smaller guy. I don't need to compromise geometry just to run 700C wheels. Besides, I already have a fast road bike that is ~17-18 pounds and runs 700C wheels. This bike should do something that one doesn't.
I guess I don't quite follow? If you're not worried about it, why is it a big enough deal to make it so much harder to find a bike that will work? As I already said, I am also small - I'm your same height. 700C wheels work fine and don't require compromised geometry, so long as I don't insist on avoiding toe overlap at all costs. Obviously it's your bike and I'm not trying to talk you into anything, I'm just a little puzzled.

As far as actual bikes, I wouldn't recommend any of the Surlys for your intended use. They're so heavy and overbuilt, and with the budget you've stated you can get a livelier and lighter frame, even from another steel frame. I've had two Surlys, an LHT and a Cross-Check, and they're fine. Good build quality, good finish. But definitely heavier and harsher-riding than most alternatives, and for no benefit to a smaller rider who doesn't need a bike to be super stout. The VO and Soma bikes might be worth taking a closer look at. Keep in mind, too, that if you get a 650B bike, the outer diameter of a 38mm tire will be very similar to a 700x23 tire.