View Single Post
Old 04-16-15, 11:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
If you want to have it hang down more, maybe you should skip the support. I put a large piece of cardboard in my Carradice saddle bag (Nelson Long Flap) to give it more structure. I took a pizza box, cut it to the size I wanted, scored it in lots of places with a pizza cutter wheel so that I could easily bend it and it has worked quite well. I have not had any real downpours, but it has been in some rain and survived.

A bit more detail - if you look at it from the side, think of it as being a big U shape with side panels, I put the cardboard in like that U shape to fit in the bottom, the front (under the saddle) and the back (rear-most part).

I think others have used corroplast plastic sheeting instead of a pizza box, but I have not found a good source for that.

For touring, my Nelson Long Flap it sits on the tops of my panniers, so I do not have it hanging down loosly.

I also have a Pendle model, slightly smaller. I also did the cardboard thing with that one, see photos. It holds shape very nicely this way, no underlying support needed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0562.jpg (98.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0623.jpg (97.2 KB, 42 views)