View Single Post
Old 04-17-15, 08:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by TroN0074
So I have been commuting to work for few months now and I have been also riding my bike for recreation. Pretty much everybody who knows me is aware I enjoy learning about technology and electronics.
So recently a guy approached me to let me know he could turn my bicycle into a fix gear if I wanted to, he told me a fix gear bicycle is the kind of bike a hard core Linux user will ride. That made me smile because yeah I find Linux very interesting but what does have anything to do with riding a bike?

Have you guys ever been stereotyped for riding your bike? whats your experience with this?
I don't really like to indulge categories or stereotypes, despite how strongly we're wired to do so.

That said, I can see the guy's point: both Linux and fixed-gears are for the real enthusiasts. People who like to tinker, and for whom normal operating systems and bikes aren't enough.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498