TxSpeedster
^^^ Drafts unicyclists

Bikes: Black Commutocrosser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bells. Again.

So riding the MUP around White Rock Lake yesterday on a test ride after making a few changes to the steering tube stack and neglecting to reinstall the signalling bell afterwards. As I came up on a pair of women walking their dogs I gave the standard alert: "Passing on your left."

The woman on the left immediately moved to her left and guided her dog in that direction as well. With the entire path now blocked I applied the brakes and veered off of the pavement and onto the adjacent grass. In the so doing the woman's dog and I made glancing contact, dog shoulder to rider shin.

The woman shouted an obscenity and I stopped to make sure the animal was uninjured and offer an apology which was angrily brushed away with; "I moved to the left when you asked me to!"

I shook my head and continued along my way. The MUP has plenty of signage regarding passing on the left only and announcing left prior to passing. As much as I am pissed at her for causing me to strike an animal, I have to share the blame because I was in too much of a hurry to reinstall my bell before riding.

/rant