Old 04-18-15, 07:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5797 Post(s)
Liked 2,611 Times in 1,448 Posts
You have to decide up front whether your concern is structural or cosmetic. If structural, co nothing, because the structure is only very slightly compromised if at all, and repair isn't called for.

If cosmetic, then you have to decide what it's worth. You can forget about any of the autobody dent pulling trick because frame tubing and auto sheet metal are very different. The tube material is too stiff and the shape of the dent rule those methods out. Likewise with using blocks or rolling the dent out because it's too local.

So the remaining method is filling. As I posted earlier you can fill it cold with body filler, and do a local paint touch up of cover with a decal. Or you can fill it hot with braze or silver solder, which will also be structural, but that will cause paint damage extending a least 3" in each direction and call for major paint work of one kind or another depending on what you want, up to possibly repainting the frame.

So you have to decide what this frame is worth to you, and what kind of dough you'll spend to hide a blemish that doesn't matter except as a reminder of your clumsiness.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.