Thread: Bells. Again.
View Single Post
Old 04-19-15, 09:12 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
To me this is a natural consequence of mixing pedestrians and bicycles and it should be avoided. However, you're not always going to get the ideal and you have to deal with what you have.

Many of the MUPS here have separate paths for cyclists and pedestrians but there are still places where they come together and there can be problems in busy areas. And there are those who don't realize there are two paths and end up on the wrong one.

Some of the recreational paths have 10 mph speed limits which is ridiculous and not often enforced. There was a plan to remove limit and instead let the cyclists determine what was prudent and safe. A huge pushback ensued and countless stories of bad collisions were related to the powers that be. They elected to keep the speed limit. The problem is that some people can't be trusted to ride at safe speeds when there are pedestrians around. It's too bad. Because of this situation I often choose the street instead.

But that has it's downsides too. If I had a dime for every person that told me how much they are bothered by cyclists riding in the street when there is a perfectly good MUP running in the same direction. I've had drivers pull up along side and yell at me to get on the path. It is truly like we can't win.

All we can do is be mindful and courteous whether we are on the street or on a MUP. Stuff is going to happen that's not our fault. People are going to mad just because we are there.

However, for me incidents have been few and far between. Most drivers and other MUP users extend the same courtesy I extend to them. The trick is that when something does eventually happen, to deal with it as best we can, then put it behind us.