Old 04-19-15, 12:48 PM
ChrisZog

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gjhsu
What? You'd think that type of maintenance would just be part of the rental fee....
No but I called and they said they could not rent me any bikes, even cruisers or comfort bikes. I'd be fine with repairs if there were issues. The problem is if they are using really light weight parts (say 24 or 28h wheels) and don't have any sturdier parts to swap out then I'd be too nervous about damaging a wheel and being out hundreds of dollars. Seems strange that in a touristy area in the US they don't have a single high capacity comfort or cruiser bike let alone a spare heavy duty wheel or two. Even the shops around here keep some 32 or 36 spoke wheels for demos. Seems they are missing out on money but not being able to at least rent out comfort/cruiser bikes to 300 lb tourists. Or offering to put on a heavy duty wheel for an extra price. Obviously customers are responsible for damage. But I don't know that shop. I don't know enough about a wheel being out of true. They could easily tell me that they had to replace the wheel and charge me hundreds of dollars and I could not tell if I was being taken advantage of.

There's a Trek shop nearby. I was hoping they may have a Shift 4 but they only demo/rent carbon road bikes. May be out of luck for a couple weeks.

Last edited by ChrisZog; 04-19-15 at 12:54 PM.