View Single Post
Old 04-21-15, 11:46 AM
curlyque
Banned.

Bikes: 1989 Greg LeMond Le Vanquer, 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2010 LHT, Marlboro Fuji Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I was also interested in the gluconeogenesis - gycogen question, so I looked it up:
http://www.******.com/r/Fitness/comm...sis_replenish/

It took some looking. The biochem texts I found were impenetrable by li'l ol' me. So, no you can't make glycogen by means other than eating more carbs that your body needs for current activities. There's no other pathway.

And what should be of even more interest to the low-carb folks: gluconeogenesis only converts protein to glucose. Fat cannot be converted to glucose. Therefore your protein intake needs to be sufficient to handle your blood glucose needs or you'll burn muscle for it.
Sorry sir, but you're misinformed. Your source doesn't understand the bio-chem either.

According to you, we're going to wither away and die without carbs. In fact, carbs are the one macro we can live entirely without and they certainly are not required to fuel 'current activities'.....

"The brain cannot DIRECTLY use fat for energy. Once liver glycogen is depleted, without a backup energy source, humanity would’ve long disappeared in the eons of evolution.The backup is ketone bodies that the liver derives primarily from fatty acids in your diet or body fat. These ketones – β-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), acetoacetate and acetone – are released into the bloodstream, taken up by the brain and other organs, shuttled into the “energy factory” mitochondria and used up as fuel. "

There is a pecking order glucogen then ketones.... remember that even a way low bmi person still has 30 40 k calories of fat to convert to ketones.

"After several days of fasting, all cells in the body begin to break down protein. This releases amino acids into the bloodstream, which can be converted into glucose by the liver. Since much of our muscle mass is protein, this phenomenon is responsible for the wasting away of muscle mass seen in starvation."