mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
OMG, that horrible, cheap, heavy crank. Honest, when I tossed that thing in last time I had the box, I thought the next BOC recipient would remove it immediately - to the nearest trash can.

If you really want it, Dave, I think I still might have the NDS arm for that. Complete with a plastic pedal still permanently rusted in place.
To be honest, that was my initial thought for the crank, but then I thought it wouldn't be line with the spirit of the BoC. It's going to become part of an art project... or used to defend myself in a post-apocalyptic, Mad Max-style world. I didn't have time to post photos because I've been wrenching all evening, but I will. Thanks for the offer of the matching arm, I've got a handful of my own if the need arises.

The 6s uniglide cassette pieces I pulled (16-19-22-26-30) were exactly what I needed to complete my RB1 half-step project. I swapped them onto the 7s hub (with appropriate spacers), threw on the 2nd position 14t and finished it up with the 12t locking. I matched it with a 44/40 pair of chainrings and it now has 14 distinct, usable gears! Yeah, they're not all DA cogs to match the hub, but 30t DA uniglide cogs don't exist anyway.

I'd been struggling for weeks trying to figure out how to get more gears out of a 7s hub when St. Sheldon shined his light on good ol' half-step gearing. This is a gravel grinder, so I'm not too worried about the top end being a bit low. I never need that much except in a descent anyway. Can't wait to take her out for a test drive!

Oh and the bell was desperately needed on my daily commuter.

I know it might not work out like this for everybody, but for me this has been like being a kid at Christmas all over again! Thanks for putting this together guys and definitely keep me on the list!!

MD