View Single Post
Old 04-24-15, 04:59 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
when i first started riding i thought my area was "super hilly" too, but then again as kids wed walk our bmx bikes up every hill and just bomb down them. after riding road for a few year and seeing what actual hills are like, my area aint ****.
dudes in colorado climb 7k ft elevation like its nothing and theyre already 10k feet up in the air, all relative.

about geometry, slacker angles and longer wheelbases make the bike more stable and less responsive

this bike will be super comfortable, but not very fast or agile and will feel sortof freight train-y :

this bike has a super compact geometry and steeper angles, handles super fast but wont be very comfortable for long periods in the saddle :

lots of distance from the top of the seat to the bars can do a number on your back

but all this is also relative since some people are a lot more flexible than others, some people prefer different riding styles and feel of bikes

hope that helps clear some things up
Not quite. The only way to reach 17000 feet of elevation in Colorado (or anywhere in the U.S. other than Alaska) is in an aircraft of some sort. The highest mountain peaks in the 48 states plus Hawaii are between 14K-14,505 feet (the elevation of Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada range). The highest road in the U.S. is the one to the summit of Pike's Peak, which reaches 14,115 feet. The highest paved continuous through road is Trail Ridge Road which reaches 12,183 feet at Milner Pass.

It is possible to climb 7K feet on a bike in a one day ride in Colorado, but to do so, you are going to start at around 5100 feet in the Big Thompson River Canyon outside of Rocky Mountain National Park and ascent up Trail Ridge road. That's the ONLY 7000 foot climb on paved road within 100 miles that you can find in the U.S.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 04-24-15 at 05:14 PM.