View Single Post
Old 04-25-15, 06:40 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
It's kind of nutty how Brooks are THE saddle.

I dragged my feet on getting a Brooks for a long time. Prior to getting a Brooks, my favorite was a San Marco Touring saddle. They seem to have only been specced on a couple of bikes in 1985- otherwise... nowhere else. It's a comfortable saddle, and the big drawback to it is that it's got no bag loops.

Otherwise I also REALLY like the ubiquitous Avocet Touring II saddle. They're comfortable, relatively lightweight, they have bag loops, look "classic" probably because they were specced on SO many bikes in the 70s and 80s.

However, my favorite saddles are now my Brooks. My favorite is the Cambium, and I also have a B17. After dragging my feet for years, for not wanting to follow the "hype" about the B17 and whatever- it's just so universal about how people rave about these saddles, but they haven't been specced on a bike in 30 years. Last summer I got a B17. After a really short period of trying not to like it I REALLY liked it. More than my favorite saddles. Within a couple of months (probably weeks) based in great part due to @AZORCH 's blog, I got a Cambium- and it's even better than the B17. It doesn't have the classic look- but it's... well... badass.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.