Old 04-27-15, 08:34 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
Competition long range shooting, I learned from an early age to estimate the wind. In my observation, most people will overestimate the speed of the wind. A 5mph wind will usually be called a 10mph wind. A 10mph steady wind is a serious wind. A 20mph steady wind will be highly unpleasant for any rider.

- Calm to Nice Breeze: 0 to 5 mph
- Breezy to Serious Wind: 5 to 15 mph
- Stay Home Winds: 15+ mph
I respect the background and the numbers. I probably fall under the "overestimate the speed of wind".

I think earlier this year that I raced in 30 mph gusts, steady was much lower. Lost a tent that was poorly anchored, and a folding table blew over (as well as a bunch of other stuff). Rocked the 3000+ lbs (empty) trailer. The very beginning of this clip (my clip) shows, to me anyway, some hard wind, maybe a 30 mph gust? Same location, 5 years prior, similar kind of gust as the tent-losing gust. I'm curious what you would guess it to be (I can only guess).

Partially because I was sick, partially because of the forecast 50 mph gusts, I skipped a race over Easter weekend this year. I wasn't there so I can't vouch for the actual wind strength but a porta potty got blown over, which has never happened at a race of mine. Lots of wind-related crashes.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson