Old 04-27-15, 11:10 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
A lot depends on the land ownership when closing land during the fire season. In my experience the private lands are the most restrictive, usually prohibiting any entry. There are also times when any open fire is prohibited on public lands except in established campgrounds. It is pretty variable.
Yeah, the roads in my area get closed to any public entry. Even though there are many square miles of public (BLM) land up there as well. It really irritates me. I got stopped by a state cop up there once when I was running with my dog and told I couldn't be there. My property is surrounded on 3 sides by Weyerhaeuser so I could honestly tell him I didn't see the sign at the gate of the road I was running on, as I just go from my skid road onto their road system.

They started getting really restrictive several years ago after a guy was plinking with a 50 caliber ***** shooting tracers (is it still "plinking" if you're using a 50 cal?) and started a forest fire. That was a little ways off of Valsetz Road, in an area called Cold Springs, near the peak of the coast range.