View Single Post
Old 04-27-15, 07:34 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx

Puddle jumper?

Couplers for flying, check, Did you see the price of the case? OUCH
What about the Ritchey coupler system? Any complaints about them?
How do you get a case without spending $500
Hi Chris,

Puddle jumper = term sometimes used to refer to small passenger aircrafts. They usually limit the size of luggage to 62 linear inches maximum.

The Ritchey "breakaway" method is also good. I've only seen it used on 700c road bikes. I've heard the bolted collar on the downtube might be a little questionable for rough off-road purposes, but I haven't heard of any actual failures (again, maybe because they're mostly used on road bikes?) A custom builder familiar with this method should be able to you a better insight on this. The other drawback is that, unlike S&S couplers, you cannot retrofit a regular frame with the Ritchey breakaway method. My understanding is that the frame must be built from scratch for the use of the Ritchey breakaway. So that forces you to have a custom frame built for 26" wheels.

I suggest buying the S&S soft case at almost half the price. The advantages is that it is light, it doubles as a backpack, the bag itself folds down, and plastic interior panel (in a pinch) can fit in a pannier. Make sure you get a couple of compression members to protect the wheels and frame. I have used mine with good results.