genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Yes.

You need to go back to what I was commenting on. If "the complaints are no different" with and without bike lanes, why have bike lanes (in NYC)?

A major point of the video was that bicycle lanes (in NYC) make dealing with "the pedestrians, the motorists, the road maintenance, etc" harder.

You don't have to agree with that point but you really have to understand that that is the point being made before criticizing the video (in a useful/meaningful way). And, it's the video Daniel4 was, it would seem, commenting on, not the OP.

If Genec (a fairly vigorous proponent of bicycle specific infrastructure) isn't convinced that bicyle lanes are safer, you can't expect the "Poobahs" to be convinced.
I just want to clarify something here... I am a proponent of well designed bike specific infrastructure... I too have seen stuff so bad I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I think that the US has lots and lots of experience designing pretty good roads and that generally speaking, cyclists have had the short shrift in things... and road engineers/traffic engineers/et. al. can do a lot better... if there is a demand for good high quality cycling infra.... but that won't happen as long as there is negativity towards bike infra... based on poor designs of the past, and there is any influential voice saying "we don't need any..."

Do also note I specifically stated "but overall the "jury" is still out on the safety of basic painted BL, at least for BL built in the usual American fashion."

Last edited by genec; 04-29-15 at 12:18 PM.