RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
No engineering principal support this myth. In fact, quite the opposite, a thinner spoke flexes the wheel system more and will cause the wheel to go out of true more easily. It can be proven through simple superposition or by computer simulation and has been.

If you want/need a strong/stiffer wheel, go with 2.0 straight gauge over butted 2.0/1.8. It's the law!
No disrespect intended, but I do not believe it to be as cut and dried as you state:

1. A wheel goes out of true for a spoke related issue for only two reasons: the spoke sees plastic deformation or nipple unscrews. Either spoke can make a wheel free from these conditions if built properly.

2. A 2.0mm 14 gauge straight spoke has 23% more area than a 2.0/1.8mm spoke, but 15-20% less ultimate strength. Straight gauge spokes do not have the work hardening benefits of the butted spoke. Real load carrying capacity is very similar between the two.

3. By your superposition argument, a 3.0mm spoke would be stronger than a 2.0mm, a 6.0mm stronger still, and a solid steel wheel strongest yet. But every first year statics class teaches you to solve the problem at hand, to the specified factor of safety. My statics teacher sought the answer that meant using the least amount of material that meets or exceeds the design parameters. So the true question for spokes is are they strong enough? In my experience and exposure, 2.0/1.8mm spokes, in the right quantity, can build wheels that will remain true to the expected duty cycle.

Also note, I have no experience with Sapim Lasers (2.0/1.5mm), but those things seem pretty damn flimsy to me.

Again, no discourtesy intended, only civil discussion.