View Single Post
Old 05-03-15, 03:58 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I can see that I got raked over the coals here. Not a problem honestly. I should do some explaining as to how this came to be and what it is used for. Previous bike was stripped to make this one happen as there was a frame issue with the other bike. Wheels and carbon cranks along with the BB were OEM items from that bike. No way I am going to sell them, especially not the wheels since they are one of a kind from American Classic. This was confirmed with American Classic by my buddy who manages the LBS that I frequent. Most people start with the frame, and add everything else. I went the exact opposite way, and had everything else and added the frame. The frame was picked up on Craigslist for what I feel was a steal. Since it was a frame that I wanted, was hard to find, and was a perfect fit, I jumped on it. The bike is aggressive yet fairly comfortable.

1. The frame has no mounts for a bottle cage at all. My only options are bar mount, seat mount like I have, or go without. I often do longer rides, like the 48 mile ride last night with a group. No water on a ride like that is just not an option.
2. Stem has rise because I have a super long torso at 6'0" and a 30" inseam. I am all upper body. I slam that stem, and I might as well be riding a full on low pursuit frame.
3. Front wheel is for fun rides and is not used on a daily basis. Matching front wheel is in the shop waiting on parts from American Classic.
4. SPD pedals for daily riding as I do not like straps or cages and since it is a fixed gear, it needs foot retention of some sort.

This is what it would look like as a daily ridden bike with the matching wheels, pardon the lack of proper staging as this was taken on a normal ride:

Now, I am not making excuses or trying to justify my choices for the bike. I commute to work on both of my fixed gear bikes, and one is fairly plain, this one is a little on the expressive side. It does match, almost too much, but you know, when you get compliments on it from everyone from pedestrians to passengers in cars and cyclists as well, you just go with it. I love the bike, everything about it. The ride is phenomenal and the fit is spot on. It puts a huge smile on my face when I ride it and when it comes down to it, that is all that really matters.
You know, red and black is overdone, and your setup is highly idiosyncratic. Explanations are unnecessary and rather meaningless when judgments are based on an ideal. It's no surprise that, out in the wild (as opposed to the lab here), you'd get lots of compliments, and I think your bike is pretty hot, too, but in an altbike kind of way.