Old 05-04-15, 10:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Don't recommend tubular tires. They're much more difficult to deal with - mounting, repair, etc. - than clincher tires. Modern, high quality clincher tires are really very good and tubulars have very little advantage except for full-on racing with support crew. I use Michelin Pro Race 3 currently and they ride very nice, are light weight, and have reasonable durability.

And concerning your weight question - tires and tubes are about the easiest and cheapest way to save weight. Use a good light weight tire and a tube labeled light or ultralight. Tubular wheels and tires are certainly lighter generally than clincher, but most don't think it's worth it.

If you're looking for lightweight factory wheels, some suggestions of companies that have pretty good reputations are: Soul, Williams and Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. Good bang/buck weight wise. Many more options too. I personally would never buy the wheels you referenced above. They're good wheels, but I really doubt they'd meet your recreational needs. If you go with a (currently popular) wide-ish rim, a good clincher tire will come even closer to mimicking a tubular in ride and performance. But that's not critical, imho. I have both regular and wide rims and they both work fine.

I ride Reynolds Solitude (actually the Solitude's predecessor) and some Velocity A23's and they're both lightweight (1500-1600 grams per pair), very durable and nice looking.

I saw those pedals you bought, but they are about opposite of weight saving, if you're still concerned with that. They could be the heaviest SPD pedals made. Not "bad" by any means, but since you're talking about losing weight, you didn't go the right way with the pedals. Get some regular SPD pedals, or for the lightest - the Wellgo MG8's for a good functional, very light SPD pedal.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-04-15 at 11:01 PM.