Old 05-06-15, 02:32 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by leegf
Lenton58, thank you for sharing your experience from the other side of the globe- very interesting
Inquiring minds would like to know: are they in their neon-colored uniforms when they are out on the road?
No, actually the keirin guys I've met are not Fredded-out at all. Of course, they are in Lycra and wearing jerseys, but nothing the least bit flashy.

As we are on this: I once talked to group of them that had ended their road session in a park where public parking was allowed. (Probably since destroyed by the tsunami.) It was nice weather, but I noticed that each of them were wiping down their machines before putting them into their cars. The "sempai" (senior rider of about 40 y.o.) down to the most junior were all very friendly and interested in answering my questions.

These guys go through very serious, disciplined training to get licensed. They do something like a year of grinding bootcamp. I think any arrogance just gets kicked out of them very early on. It's a dangerous sport and a lot of money rides on their backs. It's a way of making a living, but only if you can cut the mustard year after year. I've had 20 year old students whose papas were still racing. They must have been 40-something! They are amazing looking athletes!