View Single Post
Old 05-06-15, 05:41 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimutt
I just thought that I would give you a brief update of my issues. My knee isn't good yet. But I've been cycling very short distances at a slow tempo and it usually goes pretty well. I've also invested in a pair of knee warmers.

And I have also visited a physiotherapist who looked at my knee and told me that she did not think there was anything severe. Though she said that one of the thigh muscles (the one on the inner side I believe) was a bit weak compared to the others so that the kneecap would twist when applying too much strength. So she gave me some exercises for me to do every day and then I'll go meet her in two weeks again to plan how I should continue exercise. She also said that I can keep cycling as long as I don't go to far or push the knee too hard.
Thanks for the update...

After 6 weeks and still having the problem suggests that there is a true injury to the leg/knee. Most likely the cure will involve much of the things that your PT suggested. But, without imaging, there is simply no way to know for sure just what that injury is (and even imaging may not tell you -- but it can rule out certain things). In short, you and your PT are guessing as just what the injury is and just what exactly the cure should be. Admittedly, those are educated guesses, but still guesses. Imaging (probably an MRI) will reduce the amount of guessing.

My suggestion: continue with the PT's advice. Give it a chance. But be cautious and apply critical thinking. If what she is doing is not working, if it is not getting better or if your instincts tell you something is amiss, seek further help -- mostly with a physician who can order the imaging that may tell you just what is injured inside your leg.

Until you know what the problem is, you probably won't know what the correct solution is... But treat it seriously because improper management can not only make the existing injury worse but also create entirely new problems as your body (without your knowledge or consent) compensates by over-using healthy muscles and tendons to compensate for the weak ones...