Old 05-06-15, 11:14 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by sofakng
I'm 34 years old and haven't ridden a bicycle since I was a kid but I'd like to get something I can ride with my family mostly around the development we live in but I can see myself also taking the bike to local parks or trails in the future.

My son is almost 4.5 years old and has only used tricycles. Somebody gave us a 12" bicycle but it's incredibly too small.

Our local bike shop is selling brand new (2016?) Trek 820's for $315 a piece. We are looking at one for me and one for my wife.

They also have a Trek Jet 16 for my son and he rode it around in the store much better than any other bike we have tried.

Does anybody have any advice for me before I purchase these bikes? Should I get something else?

Lastly, I am undecided between the 16" frame and the 18" frame. I'm only 5'9" and my inseam is 30". The 16" frame felt much, much better.
If it feels better, it feels better, but I don't see how. I am just under 5'9" (used to be 5'9" but my doctor says I lost an inch of height somewhere along the way). Anyhow, I don't see how 16" frame will fit. I have an 18" frame Bianchi hybrid that, frankly, feels a little small to me at 5'8".