Old 05-06-15, 07:34 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I have no idea how you'd practice it, except maybe when snow riding. As for how "exactly" it's done, I can't say. In my case the child was running across a street and I tried to steer behind him, He saw me, panicked, and reversed back into my intended track. I simply opened the turn a bit, hit the rear brake, and gravity did the rest.

But basically, that's it, bring your body to the inside of a would be turn, start then turn and hit the rear brake so that wheel slides out. It might help if you've accidentally laid a bike down on sand or gravel, and your body remembers how that feels.

I don't recommend laying down a bicycle, but I read about so many people going over the front, or the high side if they oversteer. All in all, I think going down to the inside is a better deal.

Bike handling skills are an under rated facet of staying safe on a bike. I developed many of mine riding on snow and ice, when I was much younger and less brittle, along with plenty of dirt road riding. Many riders who started out as children developed handling instincts abusing their 20" cst brake bikes. Mtn bikers and cross riders also develop good skills from riding on treacherous surfaces, but many road bikers, especially those who come to the sport late in life, never have much practice riding close to the edge, and when they have their first handling problems, lack the instincts to manage them decently.
Absolutely golden insight. Riding in NYC has taught me that there are some situations where a crash is inevitable, and you as a rider need to be able to evaluate the situation in a couple seconds to chose the safer/lesser crash.