Thread: Sore Calves????
View Single Post
Old 05-07-15, 01:40 AM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to get a foam roller! Interesting idea.

Originally Posted by ColaJacket
What part of the foot is on the pedal? And the rule of thumbs for seat height are all just starting points.

Also, if you don't want to eat meat to get your proteins, most vegetarians eat a lot of beans/legumes to get their protein. Milk is also a good source of protein (as well as the eggs that you mentioned).

GH
I ussually have the fore part, I guess it's the ball, on the pedal. My arches dislike too much pedaling.

I know. I should eat more of them but by the time I get home all I seem to want is some cold salad or whatever.

Originally Posted by ChrisZog
A cadence meter may help to find out if you are riding on too high of a gear. They are little magnets that attach to the chainstay and pedal and communicate to something that you can read... maybe a cycling computer or maybe your phone. I finally got mine working and found out that even after actively trying to spin a bit more, I still was riding at about 70-80 and have been trying to increase that by 10 more.

I understand the protein issue. After a long, hard ride I am ravenous for half an hour. But after that I don't feel like eating for hours. I find that if I can get something into my system in that first half hour (even just a couple of hard boiled eggs) I recover better. Sometimes simply cooking later in the day can "wake my stomach up". The smell of cooking a meal sometimes makes me feel hungry again so I find myself cooking even when I'm not hungry. Oh and sneaking protein and a bit of fats into salads. Not too much but adding some cheese, boiled eggs, a bit of meat, nuts/seeds, etc seems to help. And use MyFitnessPal to make sure I'm not adding too much. I plan to do this a lot in the summer. Because the last thing I want on a 115 degree day is a hot meal. But adding some grilled chicken to a salad should really help keep things balanced and energy level/recovery time stable.
Most of the time my salads include some sliced meat, cheese or egg and a few veggies. I just have to remember to prepare these things ahead of time! And I don't always..then I just make some corn/peas or a sandwich or something simple. It's more that it is late and I am tired, I think.

I'd need a cycling comp or a smart phone. Mine's pretty dumb still, lol. Interesting idea though!