View Single Post
Old 05-07-15, 11:12 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
does anyone get nostalgic about past seasons? i blame cdr for telling me I was "flying" two years ago. granted, I got limited results and the things that make me happy about that season are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but looking back i was going pretty decent. did some flat p123 rr in jersey and was on the pointy end going into moves and stuff, there's some awesome picture of me from the ccns kermis surrounded by some of the better NE crit riders, hell, I almost even finished tokeneke with the front group in the 3s.
Outside a podium in a small race, my first season was pretty forgetful. Not that I look down on it, racing is hard. Despite the constant wins we get on this forum its a hard thing to do that most don't get to experience.

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
I'm the opposite. Last year for instance, won some races, upgraded, and had some good/bad rides. I look back as a season that was horrible because of the failure and not a season that was great because of the wins. Maybe we all look for what will drive us as I know personally that failure motivates me much more than success. Carrot/stick type situation.
I think back more on my failures, specifically early this year. In the fall I was flying, with 20 minute and 5 second power at all time highs while dominating climbs and sprints in group rides. I couldn't wait for the season and was expecting wins, but somewhere gloriously it fell apart (partially due to injury, partially to bad luck). Despite having very poor power numbers in races, I still did well, which is more a credit to my racing acumen than ability. I should give some of that credit to the veterans of the 33....but....

That drives me more, being a failure at this, thinking others are laughing at me and I'm some big joke in this sport. Deep inside, I know people don't think that, but it helps to motivate me. Mommy Daddy issues I know right? Kind of like the team that wins the championship, and touts 'no one believed in us' even though the Vegas odds had them over every team.