View Single Post
Old 05-08-15, 03:27 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
Our afghan hound reminds us of a greyhound. Very similar bone structure and speed but the Afghan has long hair and running in the ditches would mean hours of grooming after the run/ride. There are lots of retired racing Greyhound available for adoption. Neat idea... I hope I don't get a bad rap here for starting and continuing this thread. We love our dog and if he can safely go with when I ride my new bike (which I also love) we both benefit. Of course these are just local neighborhood rides that don't put us near traffic or other hazards.
Hmmm, is it like a Persian Cat?

Anyway, try the shock collar. Once the dog figures it out, the beep is usually plenty to get their attention.

Jogging with the dog would be nice, but for some of the faster dog species, they could probably run you into the ground and then some.

That is a good point about busy roads. I had thought of taking the hypothetical greyhound towards the city, but perhaps it would be best just to take it on the local country roads.

Here was an interesting chain about a dog and a cargo bike. Of course, many people also carry their dogs in trailers. Perhaps you could let it run where it is safe to run, and ride where running isn't safe or practical.

http://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cy...argo-bike.html

Anyway, even with the leash (or the spring loaded leash), you and your dog will eventually discover the limits. As in the clips with the cargo bike, if you're not going too fast, you can always stop. Just keep the leash loose, so you can always drop it in an emergency.