Old 05-08-15, 04:47 AM
Stas87

Bikes: road and track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm still a young engineer, although it does say senior on my title, it sounds more impressive than it is. It's really equivalent to what used to be engineer 3. How long do I have to wait to start skipping and or leaving pointless meetings so that I can actually do the work that the meetings are asking me about doing? I swear I spend more time talking about and planning than actually doing or problem solving. The meeting talking is explaining things that the 3 engineers in the room already know to the 8 project managers who don't understand and never will.

Sorry, it's a bit of a touchy subject at the moment. We inherited the PM mindset from another company, and it's awful. So, much, overhead.
I'm also an engineer and I've come to find that these types of meetings are pointless and are pretty much just ways to make the day go faster. My strategy has become to let the PMs and upper management talk themselves out. Once they're done justifying their existence I explain the problem/solution/etc in layman's terms so they can understand. When all else fails, I throw in some technical jargon to make sound like they're in over their heads. That usually makes them leave me alone long enough to do my work.