DiRt DeViL
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Kona Unit, Orbea Volata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibber
I'm really surprised. With your riding prowiss, I assumed that your kids would have been born knowing how to ride! How old is your daughter?
She's the total opposite if her younger brother, he's active and she's passive. When she came to me asking me to buy the bike it really took me by surprise, she's 11 btw.

When she was around 6 she got a 16" Barbie Toy's R Us bike with training wheels, she never demostrated a lot if interest but rode it once in a while. One day I took them to my syster's place and took the bikes along so they could ride with their cousings. She fell and scratched her face and a black eye to go along, she was wearing a helment but it didn't helped much..

Since that fall cycling became a thing of the past and her interests remained on singing, drawing, painting, etc and nothing sport related until now. One of her friends that lives near by ride with her parents once in a while around the block and I believe that's part of her new push to ride. Guess that peer pressure really works or she wants to tag along, who knows.

Originally Posted by Fibber
Only consideration is the beating it might take while she learns how.
I'm also a bit concerned regarding learning to ride on a bike with gears. There's no way to install training wheels and the possibility of bending or breaking the dropout is there even though the bike has a protector on that area.

A smaller bike would have been too small for her and she knows what a Gary Fisher is because I used to own one so the familiar name and the bling that comes along probably was another factor on choosing it. I part time were I bought it and they only sell Cannondale, Trek, Fisher, Lemond, Ellsworth and the bike was the only 24" girl bike available so I got a great deal.

I spoke to her yesterday and told her that I complied with my part of the deal (buying the bike) and that I at least expected a 110% effort on her part, we'll see if she finally learns or not. Stay tuned, you never know if a girls GF Tyro will be offered here

Tommy