View Single Post
Old 05-08-15, 08:38 AM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by on2wheelsks
I use a 6' leash with a gentle leader, which I strongly recommend. It does take your 4-legged friend a little time to get used to it, but my Henri never takes the slack out of the leash. He has had other dogs, rabbits, and squirrels try to distract him, and he doesn't take the bait. He is very focused on me and the bike and even turning with him is a breeze. I do talk to him some during the run, but i talk to him all the time. We have a one word command he learned at a young age to never disobey, and that word is "back". I have never used it on the bike, never had to. We average 6-7 mph, on a 3-5 mile run. There are risks we all take whenever we ride, so I don't dwell on the negative, just the positive. i also ride a motorcycle, and accept the inherent risks that go along with it.
Just my .02.
I say if you and your hound enjoy it together, why not?
A wise man once said something like, "You can get busy living, or get busy trying not to die." I prefer the former.
Well, we are in the minority here, that's for sure. I have also noticed my hound is much more focused when on a trot with me and the bike. He seems bored on a walk and much more likely to do anything for sport when there's nothing to focus on. We have not come across any significant distractions yet so that will be the true test. Afghan hounds are sight hounds and will give chase to just about anything but our guy is pretty mellow although I did see him chase down and catch a rabbit 2 years ago. I could not believe it.