RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Really? Where was that?

At the Virginia gradeschool I attended from grade three onward we had no buses, everyone walked or rode bikes to school. We were taught walk on the left because you can see oncoming traffic, ride bikes on the right because the bike is a vehicle. The system worked well.
Same here in WI, but buses ran in from the county once those schools closed, no buses in town.
It's not like you could live a mile from school and still be in town, anyway. Lots of us rode to school.

The fire department had bike safety days and you got your bike inspected and a free town license plate.
Helmets were not even on the horizon, but they made sure you had good pedals, good grips, and your bike was safe.

We had a bike rack at school, and I don't know of anyone that had a lock on their bike, or even carried one.
I got a heck of a scolding from the principal of my elementary school for zigzagging up a hill on the way to school.
Back then, you said "yes, sir," and hoped he didn't call your parents, who would punish you again.

The first kid in town to get a Schwinn Continental made a lock out of a garden hose, a chain, and a padlock.
The green hose matched the bike pretty well. It was impressive, but appeared heavy.

I ran a stop sign once, I think on the High Street, in front of Charlie Palzkill in his car; he had to stop quick.
By the time I got home, a couple of people had already called and told my parents, and I received a pretty good come-uppance.
I had to go apologize to him. He told me to straighten up and fly right, quit being dangerous to myself and others.
I think I was 9. He was 100% right.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-08-15 at 02:14 PM.