View Single Post
Old 05-08-15, 05:58 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
"Maybe if I apply again and you boost me up from a D+ to a C I'll get in next time".
'Sorry, but no, you won't and the semester has been over for two weeks, so I can't change your grade now even if I felt you deserved an extra 7% added to your final grade.'
"Yeah well you're an ******* and it's your fault my grade doesn't represent how hard I worked in your class and you're wrong anyways because all my other professors and high school teachers and my parents think I can be an _______. Why are you stopping me from doing what I NEED to do? There isn't any other option, there's nothing else I can be. I HAVE to be a __________."
For a couple of years, to make some extra cash while working as a young newspaper reporter, I taught remedial English at a community college. And when I say remedial, I'm talking elementary school level stuff: verbs, nouns, adjectives, how to write a complete sentence... It was really tough having to fail some of those kids. I honestly don't know if they were incapable of learning the material or just didn't care to.

And as my wife often tells her students, she did not Give them a grade, they Earned that grade. And they aren't being graded on how hard they worked or how hard they tried, but on how well they worked.

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Please tell me Worcester sucks less than I think it does :/
I never spent a lot of time in Worcester, but I did got to some fun concerts there.

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Everything in journalism is low pay. Sad.
As a former newspaper reporter and editor, I'll go ahead and suggest he/she start looking for a job outside the industry. And if he/she really wants to be a journalist, he/she should go spend a couple years in a small town in the middle of nowhere. So much fun and crazy crap happens in little towns.