View Single Post
Old 05-09-15, 02:04 AM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no intention of ever using a shock collar and never did, or said I did. These are SHORT rides we go on in a small neighborhood at trotting speeds, no sprinting. I would never run a dog, ANY dog to exhaustion or even close to it. When he goes to the dog park he is 100% exhausted after several sprints on his own and we call it a day. He's barely panting on the bike rides and I would never take him on a hot muggy day. Again, we are NOT riding on MUPS or in traffic or around other cyclists or dogs. The risk is mine to take. The dog is enjoying the jaunts and is now excited when I head to the bike. I'm not an idiot and the dogs safety comes above mine. This is my 4th Afghan hound, I know the breed well. I thank those who have posted positive remarks and useful tips and also take into consideration the overwhelming disapproval posts. I did not start the thread to ask for permission or to get a pat on the back. I only wanted to see if others were doing it and if they would share any techniques to minimize risk. I am new here and can't help feeling like I'm being ganged up on. I don't want cycling enemies so I will no longer post to this thread. If the moderators would like to delete it that might be best so I can start over and not post about the dog and the bike ever again. I do think the video of the cargo bike and the 12 year old dog was touching. I am only trying to improve my dogs quality of life as well as my own fully realizing the risks.. I'm sorry I offended some members and will keep my dog/bike stories to myself from now on so I have to retract my previous post where I said I would tell the story if anything went wrong. Most seem convinced the dog and I are doomed so we'll just leave it at that