View Single Post
Old 05-09-15, 04:58 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Big Block - The rear derailleur is a five speed model, using an Atom 14-24T freewheel ( as 24T was the maximum ) and apparently one of the tricks to using these early derailleurs is having the proper chain length ( trial and error without the original chain ) and the right gearing. I have a 42T inner on the current Nervar crank and the Stronglight will have a 40T which would be more useful. I might go with TA chain rings eventually and try something like a 34T or 36T inner and a 46T outer, it becomes obvious when setting up the derailleur just how little chain wrap it has.

It will be fine for the kind of limited riding I plan on doing with the bike and I do not mind all of the trouble I went through learning how to properly set it up. Many have turned the pulley cage around in order to achieve more chain wrap but of course it does not usually shift as well. And thank you for your encouragement juvela, always nice to know others appreciate these bikes.The stem is marked OFV ( or DFV ) just behind the handlebar. Have yet to find any information on it.

Last edited by VintageRide; 05-09-15 at 11:08 PM.