View Single Post
Old 05-09-15, 10:59 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
As I said, it's just my preference and others may not share it.

The way I figure it, stopping is resting whether I stop because of a red light or a train or whether I stop to rest, it's all the same to me.

Also, If I don't include the time stopped, average speed becomes an indicator of traffic rather than my effort. If I go out at midnight to ride thirty miles, it takes me significantly less time than if I go out at 2 pm. But, if I don't count time stopped, my average speed in the afternoon is significantly greater because of all the rest I get at stoplights and such.

edit: Another way to look at it from my perspective (which is not shared by everyone) is that I'm interested in my average speed for a thirty-mile ride, not the average of the average speeds of thirty one-mile rides.
The rest is really only relevant if you are riding close to your threshold, otherwise it has little impact on the power you're putting out or the speed you ride. Most people aren't doing threshold intervals through the middle of town with stoplights in the way. In any case, even if you don't count stop time you'll be slower with a bunch of stops due to the slowing down and speeding up required at every stop.