View Single Post
Old 05-11-15, 08:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Cafe
I enjoy a shorter stem on my bike and a slightly larger frame. I fit perfectly on a 57 but am on a 58. It really boils down to preference, age, and most of all...flexibility. I would say mid thirties and up you should go with a more endurance set up...something with a taller head tube. Fuji gran fondo is a good example. Obviously that suggestion goes out the window if you are racing I suppose...but no one says you can't race on a endurance frame. Bigger the frame, the greater the wheel base as well which effects steering quality. If you don't like having a lot of seat post, go with a bigger frame, and a shorter stem. I don't like a lot of seat post, and I feel it is much easier to get in the drops, and stay in the drops longer with not as much seat post, and a shorter stem to boot. Some people may feel crunched up, but I find myself staying on the hoods and the drops more...which means I am able to be more aero for the majority of the ride. Stems aren't that pricey either so you can experiment, and just sell it on fleabay if it doesn't work out.
Aesthetics side, the benefits of running a smaller frame and longer seatpost include reducing frame flex, increasing handling accuracy, reducing weight, and allowing for increased vibration damping from seatpost.

I can't think of any advantages specific to running a larger frame; bar position can be adjusted via steerer, stem, and bar shape (e.g. reach/drop).