Old 05-14-15, 06:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Stas87
I did my first Keirin last night. It was a blast and I placed third. Couple of observations and questions:
Drafting I thought was super easy (I race criteriums a lot, so being tight to a wheel is normal for me), but I saw some riders in front of me who didn't seem comfortable and kept going up track. It looked more like they were uncomfortable than jockeying for position. When this happens, do I just slot into sprinters lane and not worry about the guys up track?

We got the bell, and I came around 2 guys (I was sitting 4th wheel when the derny puled off) going into turn 2. I was trying to mark the wheel of the guy who ended up winning. He did a slight wheel flick and pushed me up track. I lost some speed, but still got on top the gear enough to place 3rd. Afterwards, the winning rider told me he looked back and thought I was going to come over the top. So he decided to do a small flick to cause me to lose momentum. It didn't seem aggressive to me at the time; question here is whether this is common or not for Keirins?
It's common...and potentially illegal.

If the rider leaves the sprinters lane while flicking/sweeping, then it's illegal. That means that they intentionally obstructed your path.