View Single Post
Old 05-15-15, 09:28 AM
bartolomei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The studies I've read, such as the one to which you link, show glucose being produced from infused or consumed glycerol. I know that some tri folks use glycerol to hyperhydrate before an event, consuming about 1g/kg body weight. More is supposedly rather nasty on the digestive system. Anyway . . .

One might assume that gluconeogenesis from glycerol also might happen whenever carb nutrition was absent and blood glucose was low. However human dietary studies don't seem to support this, indicating rather that at least the vast majority of gluconeogenesis is from amino acids. I thought that this study:
Gluconeogenesis and energy expenditure after a high-protein, carbohydrate-free diet
was very interesting as it also helps explain the greater than expected weight loss from low carb diets. It also discusses the variation of protein balance, blood sugar levels, and possible gluconeogenesis with various low or zero carb diets, which I found interesting.

I understand that gluconeogenesis from glycerol takes place, I'm just doubting how much in ordinary situations. I don't think that's really very interesting in any case, since the protein intake of most low carb dieters is plenty high enough to prevent muscle breakdown. I was only trying to be cautionary about keeping protein levels up, above what's normally considered necessary, to allow for gluconeogenesis.
Authors of the above study say (not prove) that "Because fat is a thermoneutral ingredient, ie, it does not increase diet-induced energy expenditure," from which they conclude it does not stimulate gluconeogenesis. Still, they mention other studies in which energy expenditure was not significantly different among different diet compositions.

In any case, I think during a low-carb (<10% energy) diet, neither protein nor fat are able to provide enough glucose to replenish glycogen stores, because people on low-carb diet who do not even train report they have ketones in urine, and, significant ketogenesis and ketonuria occur only after glycogen stores are depleted.

Last edited by bartolomei; 05-15-15 at 09:31 AM.