Old 05-15-15, 10:10 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it normal for the brakes to activate upon sharp handlebar turning?

I was tuning up my friend's road bike the other day (Felt ZW 95) and after adjusting the rear brakes to where they were tight but didn't rub, I noticed that when I let the handlebars go (they'd fall to the side on my stand) the brakes would be activated, holding the rear wheel in place. Now, this won't be an issue during normal riding, unless you're crashing. You'd never turn your handlebars this far, even when trying to turn around on a small road. The cables have plenty of excess in front of the bars, they're looped around nicely. No more or less than my other bikes. However, this is the only bike I've ever worked on with interrupters on the flats of the bars. Obviously the front brakes don't have this problem.

Is this normal? Should I adjust the brakes looser so this doesn't happen? Cabling is stock from the factory. We've never had a need to change it.