Old 05-15-15, 02:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
... I do need to change the habit of watching only the pedestrian's count-down signal without looking at the traffic light.
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone, at any time, under any circumstances, would go through an intersection without being aware of cross traffic. This applies to driving, but doubly to pedestrians or cyclists.

Yellow light, red light, green light, walk signal, don't walk signal. It doesn't matter. You really go through an intersection without looking both ways? Well then, there you have it, we now know why you ended up in that situation. Maybe in a very technical sense, you weren't at fault, but I will say that crossing an intersection without being aware of cross traffic is just plain dumb. I apologize for being harsh, but I think most of us learned this as children. Sorry. But now you know, I hope.

So that's basic common sense. Added to this is being aware, as a cyclist, that the container was causing a potential pinch point and hazard. What an experienced and aware cyclist would probably have done is: looked both ways and seen the bus and known it was a larger vehicle with a wider turning radius. Then looked ahead and seen the pinch point caused by the container. Then known, because of common sense that there would be a potential problem, and therefore waited to see how the bus's turn went.

This is an instantaneous, almost intuitive process once you've had some on the road experience in traffic (not only as a cyclist, but as a driver or pedestrian).

All in all, I think you were riding unsafely for the conditions and the bus was driving normally for a bus.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-15-15 at 02:36 PM.