Old 05-15-15, 03:00 PM
Red Tornado

Bikes: Colnago Master Olympic, Masi Gran Criterium, Diamondback Century

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Low to midrange steel frames of that vintage don't ride particularly well at all, sorry. I've ridden my fair share of old bikes in that price range of that quality, and frankly, they're mostly turds compared even to modern aluminum bikes (which don't deserve the harsh ride reputation any more than steel deserves the soft ride reputation). My experience with high-end steel is much more limited, but I can tell you that the only steel frame that has legitimately astonished me with its ride feel has been my Ritchey SwissCross. It truly is remarkably cushy and I adore it. But the downside of steel is that you have to give up some of the torsional stiffness (i.e. cornering precision) to get that kind of compliance. I ride small frames, which helps, and the characteristics of that bike work for me off-road, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I love both of my steel bikes, but I'm aware of their weaknesses.
Never said you couldn't beat the ride quality, just said it wasn't easy to. I also never said that steel was better than Ti, CF or anything else (rpenmanparker). I also did not say they were the best frames, I said they were good frames. If you see them as turds that's fine, but I see them as good; not great but good. In my OPINION those frames were very comfortable (and yes flexy - but they weren't race bikes) regardless of what price range they were in; and in some (not all) cases more comfortable than the higher end Al & CF bikes I rode and raced.
Not everyone is going to agree on this topic because personal preference makes this too subjective. We all have our own opinion.
Reminds me of a conversation I had with a former employer who had a 2nd business importing Italian wine. We were discussing the different wines you're "supposed to" pair with different foods. He said that, in general, those pairings were right on the money and go with them if you're in doubt. But the true "correct" wine is really the one that you like the best - pairings be damned.
Anyhoo, I can totally respect your feelings and opinion on the subject. That's what it is an opinion. After 24 years of riding & racing I also have developed my opinions on the subject. Doesn't make me an expert, but does qualify me to have an opinion and not be talked down to about it. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I'm sure there's a lot of other cycling-related things we would have no problem seeing eye-to-eye on.