Old 05-16-15, 07:51 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps they would just ban the cars and not the pickups....

Oh... that is what it looks like here anyway.

It would probably work in an inner city neighborhood, but it would require huge infrastructure changes to accommodate the more distant burbs.

Here, the nearest bus stop is about 4 miles away (4 buses each way weekdays, 2 buses each way weekends), and it is about 8 miles to the middle of town. I live just a little under 20 miles from Mom's house. About 4 miles to my nearest bus stop, and 2 miles from the nearest bus stop to Mom's house. According to Google, going from here to there on the bus, once a day during weekdays I can do it in 1 hr, 24 min. Otherwise, it would take between 3hrs, 56 min and 13 hrs, 27 min. The return trip is between 3 hrs 54 min and 15 hrs, 15 min.

if the town went car-free, then what about those that commute from out of town? Park & Ride?

Sometimes I like big things. I've hauled 400+ pounds on my bike trailer a couple of times. Those are heavy loads.

I haven't hauled a couch home yet... but I have thought about furniture a bit. Thankfully I'm not buying livestock feed.
Your town would not be able to ban cars unless they greatly fixed the bus system. And note that banning cars is not the same as banning delivery vehicles.

"Think Outside the Cage"