Old 05-16-15, 09:43 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Road bikes really come into their own in terms of efficiency, etc., as the miles go up. Eleven miles each way is a decent ride, but it's probably on the shorter end of where road bikes really shine.

Part of the efficiency of a road bike is the tires, and part of it is the riding position. Not necessarily low, but lower than you would be a mountain or hybrid-style bike. You mentioned you like your SpiderFlex saddle; I hadn't seen one (just Google'd it). I'm not sure if it works well with the more "hunched over" position of a road bike. That's a question only you can answer.

Also remember that road bikes usually don't have attachments for fenders, carrying stuff, etc.

I commute on my roadie; my ride is closer to 20 miles each way. I don't have to carry anything (I drive in "civilian" clothes on the days I drive) other than a few personal items (keys, wallet, ID badge, etc.) which I stash in a small waist pack. My commute is through suburbia on roads that sound pretty similair to yours (i.e., frost heaves, potholes, etc.). So there's no reason a road bike can't work; the question is will it work for you. Only way to answer that is to go demo a few.