Old 05-16-15, 04:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,884 Posts
Riding my age (plus), now working to avoid those nasty post-ride spasms

For my birthday, I treated myself to a century. It felt pretty good overall, but it was quite a bit longer than my previous longest ride this season, which was 65 miles.

I did everything I could to hydrate and take electrolyte pills, etc., and I didn't cramp up during the ride (a good sign) but I know I'm in danger of nasty leg spasms this afternoon and tonight. When I push the distance, it's always a risk for me.

In my experience, they come after my legs have been immobilized for a while - for example, when I've made the mistake of taking a post-ride nap, and then try to move my legs. So I'm trying not to stay in one place for too long - even though I'm very tired, I took a walk around the neighborhood with my daughter (another birthday treat), am puttering in the kitchen and elsewhere in the house, and so on - anything to keep from being stationary for too long.

We'll see if I can sit through dinner without screaming in agony.