View Single Post
Old 05-17-15, 04:59 AM
RR3
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to close the loop, it was hot on yesterday's 400k and I only drank 2 bottles on each 60 mile leg in the middle portion of the ride. I got to a WaWa minimart towards the end of the ride and they had two twenty oz bottles of Coke for $1.99. Running on fumes, I took the crack so to speak and had some GI distrubances of course. I did stick to the rest of the plan in terms of power and heart rate but I did eat more than planned and set a Personal Best time for a 400K. I also rode with two really nice (powerful) riders who came down from NH.......afterwards I found out that one of them had a sibling who won a gold medal in the Marathon and the other did Charly Miller time and they ate and drank a similar amount (not so much but just steady and consistent)....when they ate, I ate, etc. I think she had homemade cookies, trail mix, and beef jerky. Anyways, I did pay a bit of price for overindulging on coke and maybe eating more than ususual. No nausea, just tons flatulence after the ride. Probably the coke.....I never drink coke. I drank 216 oz fluids (it was 85-87F) and consumed around 3400 kCal all day....no breakfast before the ride....works out to about 260 cals per hour on the ride and I did eat those two flasks of homemade chocolate gel, 250 cals per bottle, two cokes, and two salty nutty energy bars. I only lost 1% body weight, so, the fluid intake was perfect. This is the most I have ever eaten per hour. My intent was to push my limits. I don't think I could have consumed more in that heat (hot for me).

The NJ Princeton RBA had volunteers at each stop with water and all sorts of food. Unbelievable support....I was not expecting that!!

To the OP....find your limits.

Last edited by RR3; 05-17-15 at 05:10 AM.