View Single Post
Old 05-17-15, 08:11 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Lots of options here. If you ride in areas with businesses, you can buy water or ask restaurants to fill your bottles -- I've never had one refuse. If you ride in rural areas with people but not businesses, you can fill your water from a church spigot (always works) or stop by a house and ask if you can fill from the spigot. The vast majority will fill from the tap. I think I've only had one person ever not let me have any water at all in the past 30 years. If you are in areas where there are not even homes, you can plant water in strategic locations by the side of the road.

Don't forget electrolytes if you're sweating that much. It can be a big deal.

BTW, losing 7.8 lbs in two hours is insane. 4 lbs/hr with temps in the 80's sounds high -- that's two quarts per hour. More of a hot desert type of rate loss. Hopefully, there was an issue with your scale or some other factor was at play but it's likely you were dehydrated. Don't get that far behind on water -- seriously. You go from riding along thinking you're fine to passing out so fast you won't even realize what's going on. You will have more fun and put out better power if you take care of yourself.
I will probably be paying more attention to this down the road, but I suspect that this is about right. I am an ex-runner and have raced two marathons (a LONG time ago) in pretty much identical conditions. In both of them (finishing times a bit under 3 hours) I lost about 12 pounds (I am unable to run and drink, but I can pedal and drink) and was in serious trouble at the end.

Since I did consume about 1 pound of water my net loss was under 7 pounds. I'm not saying that this is a good idea, but if I was dehydrated I felt no symptoms at all. But I suspect that I was close to 'the edge' here (just a guess).

dave