Old 05-18-15, 11:18 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I like the planet bike cascadias a lot but I'd also take a look at the SKS fenders. You won't go wrong with either fenders. This is a very good looking bike.

Did you have someone locally do the braze ons and the paint job? Good choice of color for a touring bike.

What kind of wheels are you using and tires?

I like the sugino crank (that is a sugino crank, right?) a lot. I might be tempted to go with a trekking crank (44-32-22) on a build like this as well.

What kind of pedals are you using?

I find steel water bottle cages a bit more durable than aluminum; being able to bend them a bit is a plus as well.

I really like that style of drop bar on a build like this.

This is a really fine build, .
Thanks!
The local guy I used for the powder coating offers braze ons. I think he probably farms the work out but I don't know for sure. Since a lot of the intended use is on gravel I thought I would pick a color that wouldn't show the dust! I thought it was kind of a nice earthy tone for touring.
The wheels are Deore LX hubs laced to On One ******* rims with 2" Continental Travel Contact tires. The crank is also Shimano Deore LX with 46-36-24 rings. I have the same thing on my road tourer and have been very happy with it. Very nice shifting. The pedals are just an old pair of Shimano mountain bike pedals I had. Not sure of the model.