Old 05-19-15, 04:44 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked 1,794 Times in 961 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what is beautiful is different for most of us. That said, I don't think all of the bikes are beautiful, but a couple sport more than appealing aesthetics. However, that is not really the issue we need to consider...

Innovation! Every one of those bicycles demonstrates innovation, something new and, perhaps, now and again, something better. How would we feel today if someone, somewhere had said to heck with developing a tire full of air. How silly! Needless to say, we are ALL happy that that someone did think to get rid of the solid rubber tire and install one full of air. So...

Give the innovators a break. Without them we would never had had the bicycle, to begin with. Look at this old (early seventies) Skyway...

It features bio-pace cottered cranks, disc brake on rear and a couple of other "innovative" features that were considered heavy and stupid, at the time. But look what happened in years to come - some of those new ideas were incorporated into today's finest bicycles, be they beautiful or not.

I should add that, even though I am not much of a fan of the Skyway, it is pretty, as far as I am concerned...