Old 05-19-15, 07:08 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Of the three bikes you posted I would get the Kona. Assuming you have the budget, and it looks like you do, I'm a fan of cyclocross bikes for commuting. They can fit wider tires if desired and can sometimes be fitted with fenders and a rack. They are also lightweight and fast like a road racing bike. I would not recommend a road racing bike, but get what you want.

A note on sizing: at your height you may indeed fit on a 56cm frame as oddjob suggests, but that is for "classic" road sizing. I'm 5'9" and I ride a 54-55 classic road bike but recently bought a 51cm cyclocross bike because they fit so much larger. I used to have a 54 and it was way too big for me. So I think the Kona could work for you.

Finally, I should tell you that my commuting bikes are old, very cheap, and look like junk. They function perfectly but were (are?) real basket cases that have negligible value. This is to prevent theft and because commuters live a rough life and get banged up. I have some very nice bikes but they are not used for commuting. If you're keeping the bike inside at work and at home you may not need to worry about this. But it's something to keep in mind if you plan on using the bike for other stuff. Which you probably will. However, to be fair, I have an advantage because I build my own bikes. Which means that I can build something from scraps for almost no money that will still work perfectly and I will actually enjoy riding. On the other hand if you go out and buy a $100 bike you'll likely get a POS.