JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by whatapickle
For me, cigaretes and moderation were two words that could never be used in the same sentence. I bought a bike to help me quit and it has been over a year smoke/tobacco free. Coughing up a lung after a good climb is a great incentive to stay off the smokes but to initially quit, it was tough. To quote Mark Twain "Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."

Along with the chemical addiction, the habit aspect was just as strong. I even tried to chew tobacco to give my lungs a break but still had the urge to light up. When I quit, I did use the e-cig for a month and a half starting with the high nicotine dose and tapering every 1.5 weeks to the zero nicotine cartridges - which I did not need much because by the time I was on the low dosage cartridges, it would be 5-6 hours between puffs. The e-cig experience did not match that of a smooth menthol cigarette, but it kept me from killing someone, getting a divorce, or being fired.
Tobacco is so amazingly addictive. I smoked long ago in my stupid youth and probably have a 3 pack-year history. Last cigarette in 1975. But, even after such a long time, and knowing what I now know about smoking, every once in a while the thought will cross my mind that it would be pleasant to smoke a cigarette.